Thursday, November 11, 2010

#BlackGirlsRock

Yes, I hashtagged it!

You know what, we DO!

As I watched the B.E.T. Black Girls Rock special, something happened. That's exactly what happened, I felt special. I watched as my colored rainbow of powerful Black women showed the audience that despite, popular opinion, despite the hardships we have faced as women, despite being beaten down we have always been and will always be a strong, unstoppable force when we decide to be who we are.

I am proud of the achievements we have made as women and the obstacles we have overcome. It is because of that, I salute my sisters, because truth be told #BlackGirlsRock

My favorite performance of the evening came when four of my favorite singers almost brought me to tears as they rendered the soulful "Four Women". I remember the first time I heard that song. Written by Nina Simone (RIP), the song never fails to make me reflect on who I am and where I fit in that story.

So reflect today, Who are you?
Are you Aunt Sara?
Are you Saffronia?
Are you Sweet Thing?
Are you Peaches?

Kelly Price, Marsha Ambrosius, Jill Scott, Ledisi



So today remember who you are, and how you became the strength that you've become and every time you look in the mirror tell yourself. "YOU ROCK!"

No comments:

Post a Comment