Monday, February 14, 2011

Music Monday - Weekend Wrap Up

A lot happened this weekend so let's get to our weekend wrap up.

THE GRAMMYS

Music's Biggest Night. Really. Maybe it's just me, but the Grammys no longer excite me. I was watching a Ricky Martin interview earlier and the interviewer asked about his performance on that now definitive moment in his musical career. And that reminded me of what I used to love about the Grammy broadcasts.

The music industry like the entertainment industry as a whole is very political. Like my mother quips, "kisses go by favor". Meaning even though an award is deserved it may not be received. I've seen it year after year, but that aside, I miss the Grammys of the 80's and the 90's. Something happened over these last few years that I can't really explain. Even the performances have begun to be lackluster. Have you even noticed that more and more artist are not even making time to attend. It used to be that you look forward to the night when the elite of music are honored. In recent years, even those who are multiple nominees, send their regards. Some don't even do that. You remember the years of the prerecorded thank you. We don't even get those anymore.

That's how much the Grammys mean now-a-days. I think especially for the veteran artists (anyone that's made hits for at least five years) I think the census is generally, I will not break my busy schedule to mess with the likes of the academy. Because the academy has screwed up and the artists no longer feel honored. So I, the artist, say F*#@ a Grammy, I do this for the love of my fans. Or as one popular artist said, "make some records, get my dough, then I'm out".

For a musician, especially one that grew up listening to records and hoping that someday they could be like those that they admire, the Grammy Awards have become a disheartening display of emptiness. As a musician, I shouldn't look forward to the NFL Superbowl halftime show more than I look forward to what is my industry's Superbowl. I even anticipate the NBA ALL STAR WEEKEND more than I do Grammy Weekend. It's a shame that the Grammys are in Los Angeles and I preferred to be at Bryant Park at Fashion Week in New York.

Something needs to happen. Music has been trying for years to shake up, but the powers that be seem to be stuck and satisfied with the status quo. They no longer encourage avant garde performances like the life changing extravaganza that turned Ricky Martin's life around in 1999. I remember that night. It made me a fan.

We're slowly losing music and music fans. And "is this mic on", it falls on the industry to make the turn around and make it quick, before the Awards become a side note in the musical world.

But then again, that's just my opinion as someone that even as I write this article is purchasing music as a fan of music.

___________________________________________________________________________________
CHRIS BROWN IS A PERFORMER

Let me start by saying something that will not be popular with my female readers. I like the post Rhianna, Chris Brown. I don't know what happened in that car. As a matter of fact. Only those two people know. I don't even care. But this Chris Brown has heart and 'm loving it. I'm seeing a maturity in his performing that I've only seen in one other R & B singer as of late. But this weekend, Chris Brown was in NYC wowing the Saturday Night Live crowd proving that it takes more than a little bump in the road to keep a real entertainer down. Hmm reminds me of MJ. As I watched his performance, there was something in his eyes that made me want to see what's next for young Brown. Watch his performances and see what I'm talking about.







I SUPPORT MUSIC

Until next time ... Hit me up!
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter
You know how we do...It's all about the music!

No comments:

Post a Comment