Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Velvet Teddybear













I remember exactly where I was on January 14th when my brother told me Theodore DeReese Pendergrass had died. He knocked on my door and before I fully opened it he blurted out, "How come you ain't told me, Teddy died?" For a moment I was lost, I had a friend named Teddy and I was pretty sure he didn't know him.

"Teddy who?"
"Teddy P." he responded.
"Really?"
"Yeah, how old was he?"
"In his 50's." I sat staring at the floor.

I was shocked. I started thinking...Michael and Teddy died basically within six months of each other. I mean Michael Jackson's global influence may have been more widespread but Teddy was partially responsible for a lot of people being here. *wink* Even I feel a little sexy when I hear "Close the Door" and that wasn't even my generation's music.

We tend to forget easily; human nature I guess. But I'll always remember, for songs like "When Somebody Loves You Back", "Hold Me", "I Can't Live Without Your Love", "Come Go with Me", "I Want My Baby Back" for leaving the mystery in your love songs.... I honor Teddy “The Velvet Teddy Bear” Pendergrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment