Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What Happened To the Music

I wanna go back to a time when the music touched your heart and soul....
Gladys Knight



I've said it before "I miss music!"

I mentioned in a recent post how when I hear certain songs I get transported mentally to a different time and place where the scenery is so vivid that sometimes I wish to stay. But that's because the music that I loved still existed. Now I'm forced to swallow the "popular" and never get to the depth of it.

I remember my first formal music lesson in college, the instructor said, "Music has to evoke an emotion, otherwise its just words to a melody". I think she was trying to tell us, anyone can make a song, but your feelings make it music.

Lately music has been made just for the dollars. They say it's for the people, but lets be honest, the people will take whatever you give them, so we've taught them about money and pleasure; forgotten about feeling and passion.

I've been hearing a whole lot of artists lately talking about taking it back to the "real" music. I await the conclusion of this matter...I don't think it'll happen but I would welcome it. Maybe the labels will let artist feel again. Maybe the artist will say "the hell with it, I'm recording this song because this is how I feel." Maybe bloggers, writers and reporters will leave their personal views out of their reviews and just breakdown content and quality of the music....

Maybe it can all happen; but this comes from a woman that still believes in love...MAYBE!

No comments:

Post a Comment