Friday, September 24, 2010

We Want The Funk!

As you can tell I LOVE MUSIC! I remember when my godmother bought me a walkman for Christmas. I saved my allowance, went through my dad's pockets, I went without lunch so that I could walk to the music store and buy one cassette every Wednesday while my mom tutored kids!

Every week I'd make a purchase and make a selection for the next week, I was on a first name basis with the store owner DJ Scooby-Doo (RIP). He soon would let me listen to mixes that he was working on and for me it was magic.

I love R&B but one day DJ Scooby, as he sometimes did, introduced me to something new. He said it was called FUNK. I my attraction was instant. Who's idea was it to combine such an excitement of sound? Who decided to give the brass section of the band, the chance to explore such musical heights? I was in love!

Of course I've committed many a musical infidelity by exploring other musical genres (Don't forget my endless love affair with Hip Hop, no matter how it disappoints me I always return) Funk has always remained faithful! So today, I pay homage to FUNK! From Parliment Funkadelic to George Clinton, from James Brown to Prince!

For making us dance, shake, shimmy, and bop! For making us slide across our mama's newly polished kitchen floors singing into a broom. For allowing us the inhibition to dance in our underwear all through our houses...I honor you!

Ladies and Gentlemen TGIF Thank God It's Funky!!






Long for your dreams, Live them out, Laugh at your heartaches and Love every minute of this life (Book of Ali)

No comments:

Post a Comment