Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Music Business - Are You On Your G.R.I.N.D.

Last Night an industry professional woke me up with some words that I'd like to share here...
Hustle is about attitude. Being a go-getter one almost has to bend the rules in order to get what he or she wants. Hustle coupled with a little luck can sometimes bring to reality a dream.
Many artists really don't pay enough attention to the business side of their career and consequently end up broke, in bankruptcy court. I draw attention to a popular artist that I heard has filed for bankruptcy for the second time in her career!
That was a sidebar, but I want to talk about the hustle of the game. 
I ALWAYS laugh when I hear someone say "they stay on their grind". It would be applaudable if it were true. 

What do I consider staying on your G.R.I.N.D?
G - Give it your best shot! If you intend on being a success, you have to give the game the best that you have. No half stepping, no ifs, ands, or maybes. This is what you want to do go get it!
RReady! This is about preparedness! Someone asks you to spit some lyrics, sing a verse, play a melody; nothing but the God Lord himself should be able to stop you from doing that! Be ready to "do what you do"

I - Insist! When one door closes, insist that the no is not the end for you. Insist that it doesn't end there, find another avenue! Pay attention to the direction your path is taking and go for it with a fervor that no one else can
N - Network!...back in the day all an artist had was a demo and a prayer...now there's FACEBOOK, TWITTER, MYSPACE, USTREAM, YOUTUBE and tons of other mediums! 
sidebar talking crap on twitter is not considered "grindin" #Imjustsayin ;-)
D - Determination!...this is the strength of will, nothing and no one can deter you from making your dream a reality.

So the next time you tell someone you're on 'your grind'  ARE YOU REALLY?!

No comments:

Post a Comment