Friday, October 1, 2010

TGIFunky...Clarence Carter Edition

As I put together the Retro Edition, I remember one particular "artist" that was a mainstay at every outdoor party that I had the privilege to listen to from the bedroom window.

Clarence Carter
This is the man that made songs like ...

I Got Caught Making Love, Take It Off, Sixty Minute Man and Strokin' 

It wasn't until much later in life that I realized what that last one meant (honestly thought he was referring to canoeing to his girl, but I digress). When I reflect on the blatant sexual tones of today's music... I wonder what went through the critics minds when they heard theses "inspirational" tunes.

The thing I love about Clarence Carter was the simplicity of the lyrics...this man said EXACTLY what he was thinking. No pretense, no beating around the bush! I think I miss that in music.




This song actually starts "Take off that wig baby, I wanna see on top of your head"



This one has ALWAYS been my personal favorite...sixty minutes though Carter? I LOVE IT!!!



So RIP Clarence Carter...If your music ain't Funky...someone tell me what is.

Until next time have a FUNKY Friday and remember to ....

Long for your dreams, Live them out, Laugh at your heartaches and Love every minute of this life (Book of Ali) 

No comments:

Post a Comment